I have been thinking things over then spent some time yesterday playing with some of my thoughts for samples.This first sample is organza doubled ,then I applied some machined cords and some free-machined zigzag.
These next two are also done on organza,the one on the left (2)is single layer with free-machine stitching in variegated thread.
The one on the right (3)is loosely pleated and free-machined as above.
This one(4) was some silk paper cut into loose long shapes before being trapped in watersoluble.I then free-machined over the top adding some metallic threads as well as cable stitching with thicker threads.
Again I used water-soluble for 5,but this time I trapped lots of loose thread ends before free-machining with lots of ellipses.
I think they are all quite transparent and give the kind of effect I wanted but I am not sure they will work in layers together.I tried putting some of them together to see the effect.
I have a lot more sampling to do but these have helped to clarify that I will need some opaque areas and a darker background.