Monday, July 16, 2012

Trying out ideas.

 

 

Sian has said I must blog some new work to her by August 1st ,so after putting things away after Urchfont I got out some acetate and had a little play.I was inspired by the work produced by fellow Distant Stitchers taking the Dawn Thorne workshop.I know that I’d like my wall-hanging to consist of layers and had already made two thermofax screens of water and reeds .Before I came away I had used up some wallpaper paste and acrylic to see if they would print okay.It was a bit runny but it gave an idea of what it would turn out like.

ace1 ace2 ace3

So I traced some of my bird shapes onto the acetate ,and  as the sun was shining in through the window(Yes I know it’s difficult to believe!)I held them above the printed paper and they cast lovely shapes.

I must try out a proper print with thickened procion dyes on some different fabrics,and stitch into the acetate.The printed fabric may well become the background layer.I may make strips of fabric ,use some stitching on dissolvable ……lots to think about and try out.

  I was also very taken with Anne’s devore samples(Thanks for the info Anne) at Summer school and intend to have a go ,as I think I could use devore paste with the thermofax and produce a fabric to use as one of my layers.It is very early yet but the old gray matter is at least ticking over!

I’ve ordered some Devore paste and will order some fabric next.

4 comments:

sharon young said...

Looks like a very good start, looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Catherine said...

Really interesting - love the shadows.

Kentish Maid said...

That looks really exciting - fascinating how Dawn's workshop has had an influence beyond those who did it.

JaneO said...

Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.